CYSF recognises that sustainable regional development is contingent upon:
- Motivated, skilled and resourceful people residing in the region who are committed to securing a viable future for themselves and their children.
- Strong industry and community leadership working with vibrant industry, community and common interest associations and working groups.
- The necessary physical infrastructure being in place to facilitate regional development.
- Provision of appropriate assistance programs from local, state and federal government with culturally sensitive delivery services.
- Assured markets and fair prices for the region’s goods and services.
- Investment capital for new ventures leading to improved employment opportunities.
In facilitating regional development in Cape York Peninsula, the association also recognises the inseparable link between economic and social/cultural [community] development on the one hand, and the sustainable use [and protection] of the region’s natural assets and resources.